The Prayer Of Faith.

The family of Mr. James R. Jordan has resided in Lake View, Chicago,

since the spring of 1871. They are members of Lincoln Park

Congregational Church. The father, Mr. James R. Jordan, died in October,

1882, aged eighty-four years. Through a long series of financial trials,

sorrows, afflictions by death and pressing cares, this family learned to

depend on God for their daily prosperity; and the cures wrought in them,

ording to God's Word, are only a small portion of the remarkable

answers to prayer with which their history is filled.

It is an instructive fact for Christian meditation, that when the

exercise of intelligent faith was necessary to their cures, the faith

was there _ready for exercise._ They had not to begin, as, alas! so many

do, at the very foundation, and find out first, what faith is, and next,

how to exercise it. They had learned long before what faith is and what

faith is not; that _faith is trustful obedience to the Word of God;_

that it _is not_ a determination to have one's own way, nor to expect

the immediate gratification of a desire, simply because the desire has

been made known to God. They knew that faith obediently accepts God's

commands and promises, expects to comply with the conditions of those

commands and promises, and, so complying, expects to receive the results

of such obedience at such times and in such ways as God appoints; all of

which truths they found, and all of which may be found in the Holy


Thus living in the hopes of the Gospel, realizing as much that their

"home is in heaven" as that their "rest is not here," they have, through

the years, performed the daily duties of their pilgrimage.

The writer has known them for thirteen years, and gratefully testifies

that their faith has strengthened her's, and that their cheerful hope in

the Lord has been a strong consolation to many who were in trouble.

After the sudden death of the youngest son of the family, in 1880, the

care of the family devolved entirely upon the two daughters, Mrs. H.J.

Furlong and Miss Addie S. Jordan.

In April, 1876, Mrs. Jordan fell and badly fractured her hip. She was

then seventy-seven years old. On account of her age she could not well

be etherized, nor endure the repeated necessary resetting of the bones,

and consequently they grew together irregularly. Her hip-joint was

stiff, so that she was never able to walk without the support of a cane

or crutch. For eight years she could not leave her own little yard, nor

climb into a carriage, nor walk without support.

Through this misfortune her afflictions grew worse. In January, 1884,

she fell and broke one bone and dislocated another in the left wrist.

Notwithstanding all that medical help could do, the shock brought on a

severe sickness, and when, after eight weeks, she left her bed to move

around feebly, she had almost lost her sight and hearing, her hand was

useless, and her mind greatly impaired.

On her birthday, June 10, 1884, when she was eighty-five years old, she

greatly mourned that she had outlived her usefulness; that she could no

longer feed herself, nor read her Bible, nor remember the desirable

subjects for her prayers, and she hoped that she should not linger here

long in such a helpless and useless condition.

During the latter part of this time the two daughters were sick, Mrs.

Furlong with paralysis and Miss Jordan with consumption.

In the latter part of 1882 Miss Jordan, then in feeble health, was

needed at home to attend the father's last sickness, and Mrs. Furlong

was left to conduct their business alone. 'The extraordinary exertion

brought on paralysis. It began in her right arm, which became so

insensible that the strongest ammonia produced no sensation or apparent

effect. Gradually her whole right side lost power, her foot dragged, and

though she did manage to move about, she was comparatively helpless.

Physicians spoke not hopefully; and protracted rest was recommended as a

_possible_ relief. She planned to take electric treatment, though not

very hopeful about the result. She failed once to meet her physician,

and while planning the second time to take the treatment, and

considering Christ's miracles of healing, and the Bible's promises to

the sick, and having a feeling that possibly she might be doing wrong in

not relying entirely on the Lord, who had hitherto so much helped them,

she delayed a little, and failed again to meet the appointment. It was a

Saturday evening in January, 1883.

She went home and sat down that evening alone, in the dining-room,

depressed. The enfeebled family--the aged crippled mother, the sick

sister and her own young son--had retired. As she thought the subject

through, she became convinced that it was not good to spend time and

money in the way proposed. Instantly the words THE SAVIOUR filled her

soul with indescribable hope, and as she thought of His miracles, and

how _the same Jesus_, on earth, healed paralyzed ones, the hope grew

that He would heal her.

With the well hand she stretched out her paralyzed hand on the table and

said: "Dear Lord, will you heal me?" Like an electric shock the life

began to move in her arm, and the continued sensation was as though

something that, previously, had not moved was set in motion. The feeling

passed up to the head, and down the body to the foot. _She was healed!

and she was grateful!_ She did not speak of her experience to the

family, but retired. She rose early the next morning, and awoke her

son,--a prayerful, dutiful young man,--and said to him, "I'm going to

church, to-day." He replied, "Then I'll get up and go with you,"

expecting that she must ride.

Her soul was solemnly full that day of the felt presence of the Holy

Spirit, and she did not like to talk. Her son watched her movements,


She went to the church, took a class again in Sunday School, and; in

going back and forth to church that day and evening, walked about sixty

blocks without weariness.

We are not permitted, here, to draw aside the curtain, to dwell upon the

surprises and the grateful joy of that ever-to-be-remembered, sacred


A few days after this healing, she, with a consciousness that she was

running a risk, lifted a heavy weight, and a numbness returned. She

confessed the sin to the Lord, and asked Him that, when she had been

sufficiently chastened, He would take the trouble away. Gradually,

within two days, it disappeared, and has never returned.

At the time when Mrs. Furlong was healed, in answer to prayer, Miss.

Jordan's case was considered hopeless. Her lungs had been diseased since

1876. In November, 1879, her physician had decided that tubercles had

formed in the left lung, and that the right lung was much congested and


In 1882 she had many hemorrhages, and gradually grew worse, so that she

could not use her left arm or shoulder without producing hemorrhage.

Mrs. Furlong, soon after her own healing, received a comforting

assurance from the Lord that her sister would be healed; but Miss

Jordan, herself, had not that assurance. At this time she took little or

no medicines, the physicians and the family having no confidence in

their curative effect; but, on the 1st of January, 1884, she had so many

chills and hemorrhages, that they sent for the family physician to aid

in checking, if possible, the severe attack.

During this apparently rapid descent deathward, Mrs. Furlong continued

to repeat to the family and to the physicians that the Lord would heal

her sister.

Miss Jordan was one day so low that she could just be aroused to take

her medicine. As Mrs. Furlong went to give it, Miss Jordan said to her,

"Do you want to throw that medicine away?" Mrs. Furlong said "Yes," and

threw it away. Six hours of united waiting upon the Lord followed. They

were hours of pain. From nine in the morning till three in the afternoon

she suffered indescribable pain. A few minutes after three, the pain

left her, and with a bright look she said, "I believe I'm better." She

wanted to rise and dress, but Mrs. Furlong advised her to rest through

the night. She said she had not, in five years, been so free from

weariness and pain.

The aged mother was sick in bed with that broken wrist, and Mrs. Furlong

feared that her sister's improved condition would shock and perplex her.

Miss Jordan lay on the lounge the most of the time for two days. One of

her expressions was, "It's perfect bliss to lie here free from pain."

Her breathing became perfectly natural, and very soon the great hollow

place in the upper part of the chest, over the left lung, filled out.

Shortly before her healing she only weighed eighty pounds; but a few

months after her weight had increased to one hundred and twenty pounds.

She progressed in health rapidly, and on the second Sunday after the

healing came she attended church. The feeble mother was most sensitively

anxious lest her daughter should pursue some unwarrantable course which

should lead to relapse.

Miss Jordan's health steadily improved, but it was several months before

a cough entirely left her. You may be sure that doubters made the most

of that cough! _But it left her!_ At one time she brought on a slight

relapse by giving lessons in crayon drawing. She came to the conclusion

that the Lord had other work for her to do: and at this writing,

September, 1885, having prayerfully and watchfully followed the leadings

of the Lord, is a missionary among the freedmen of the South, and is

strong in health and in faith, "giving glory to God."

One of the aged mother's perplexities was that the Lord should want her

to live on in such a helpless and useless condition, while her

daughters, who might be so useful, must die; but oh, how successful she

had by precept and example taught those daughters that "He hath done all

things well!" How patiently she suffered whatever she thought was the

Lord's will! How sweet was her constant thanksgiving! Said a pious

Christian neighbor, whose poor health restricted her attendance at

church, "When I'm hungry for a blessing I go down to see old lady


After eight painful weeks, she so far recovered from the sickness

consequent on the broken and dislocated wrist as to move around feebly,

but sight and hearing were almost gone. Her leg was stiff, her hand

stiff, her wrist deformed, and her mind greatly impaired.

Miss Jordan became very hopeful, and received strong assurance, in

answer to prayer, that her mother might be healed. Mrs. Furlong received

no assurance whatever in her mother's case. There was a great deal of

talking and praying about it, in the family, and finally Mrs. Jordan

humbly claimed the Lord's help, beseeching Him that since He had

recorded that He would make the blind to see, the lame to walk, and the

deaf to hear, if it was His will He would heal her. This was the night

of June 16th, 1884.

In the morning Miss Jordan was so hopeful that she rose early, and

attentively listened to the movements in her mother's room. She called

the little family's attention to them, saying, "Just listen to her;" and

as, holding on by the banister, the aged mother came with her accustomed

slow movements down to the dining room, Miss Jordan said, to them, "Now,

watch her."

According to the long habit of eight years, she began to reach out for

her cane, unconscious that she had been walking around her room with new

freedom. Miss Jordan went toward her and said, "Mother, do you want your

cane?" and, wondering, the old lady walked freely into the dining room.

They gathered around her, and said, "Are you not healed, mother?" and

she began to think _she was_, and sat down in her chair by the table.

Could she move her hand? The doubled-up thumb, and straight, stiff

finger, were _perfectly free_ and as _limber as ever_, and the stiff

wrist joint _moved with perfect freedom!_ She _heard as well as

anybody!_ Could she see? She went up-stairs to her Bible, whose blurred,

dim pages she had thought closed to her forever, and _she could read as

well as ever_, and without glasses! She could thread the finest needle.

Could she kneel and thank the Lord? She had not knelt for eight years.

Yes, she could kneel as well as when she served the Lord in her youth!

Christian reader, stop here and think what a joyful family that was that

June morning. That aged saint, of a little more than 85 years, was in

good health again! And her two daughters had been snatched from the jaws

of death! What a triumph of blessed memories to leave in legacy to that

young, hopeful, Christian son, who, in childhood, had himself repeatedly

proved that the Lord hears and answers prayer!

Mrs. Jordan has never used cane or crutch since that morning. She has

frequently walked five blocks, to go to her church; and, a few weeks

after her healing, she one day walked the distance of about fifteen

blocks. She has walked for hours in Lincoln Park, among the plants and

flowers, and she goes up and down stairs, and wherever she likes, as

well as anyone.

She has the use of her faculties, and an altogether comfortable use of

her sight, though that is not so acute as at first. Her earliest joy was

that she was permitted to see that the Lord had some purpose in sparing

her so long.

Dear Christian reader, shall the wonderful manifestation of that

"purpose" strengthen your faith? It helps me.

"Is anything too hard for the Lord?" "No good thing will He withhold

from them that walk uprightly." "If ye then, being evil, know how to

give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father

which is in heaven give good things to them that ask Him." "If we live

by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit."

In the hopes of the Gospel,

Miss E. Dryer.

150 Madison St., Chicago.